Entreprenuer

Entreprenuer

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Week Six

10/30/15
Moving forward with a driving passion!

Lessons Learned:
This week I finished the book "Mastery" by George Leonard.  The final section of the book consisted of finding energy for mastery, pitfalls to beware of and how to master the commonplace.  There were five guidelines given to help us stay on the path of mastery: be aware of the way homeostasis works, be willing to negotiate with our resistance to change, develop a support system, follow a regular practice and dedicate ourselves to lifelong learning.  When discussing how to have the energy to become a master, Leonard also discussed seven different ways to help us do this.  These seven principles include maintain physical fitness, acknowledge the negative and accentuate the positive, try telling the truth, honor but don't indulge your own dark set, set your priorities, make commitments and take action, and once you get on the path of mastery to stay on it.  
The book finished with how to master the commonplace.  If we can learn to love the plateau, master the five keys, and utilize all the tools that Leonard has given us then we can apply it to our daily lives and master each and every day throughout our life-long journey.
"Ultimately nothing in this life is 'commonplace,' nothing is 'in between.'  The threads that join your every act, your every thought, are infinite.  All paths of mastery eventually merge."  

This week we also discussed Franklin Coveys 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.  Although all seven habits are incredible and equally important to build upon one another, my favorite is the final step: sharpen the saw.  If we put in all of the work to achieve our success and goals, but do not continue to sharpen the saw, it has all been somewhat pointless.  I love the four dimensions of sharpening the saw including our physical, spiritual, mental, and social/emotional dimensions.  In order to continually progress we must repeat these cycles and principles we have learned over and over, and that is what sharpening the saw means to me.  I must continually take care of my mind, body and spirit to grow stronger, better and to keep my progression moving forward.


Lessons Not Yet Learned:
I am still on my journey of mastery.  The biggest thing I have taken away from this book is to love the plateau.  As I've continued reading the book and other materials for the week, I've realized more and more that I have always lived my life for the progression points and exciting stages.  I get bored and unhappy during my long plateau periods, but I need to learn to love them and enjoy fully every moment of my life.  I cannot live my life waiting for the next progression point or major life event.  I am learning how to master the commonplace and be present in the here and now.

A Reference and Categorization Method:
The basic summary of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People can be found here:
https://content.byui.edu/file/3dda7de4-cd79-4390-9bcf-3cb660c48dd1/1/The%207%20Habits%20of%20Highly%20Effective%20People.pdf
Stand True and Faithful by President Gordon B. Hickley
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1996/04/stand-true-and-faithful?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment